JUST A (NOT SO) NORMAL FAMILY

JUST A (NOT SO) NORMAL FAMILY

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Progress


Guess who just mailed off her homestudy paperwork?  Yep - that would be me!!  We are on our way.  Unfortunately the next two weeks are completely booked  and a majority of our family will be away from home so the actual home visit will have to wait until at least the last week of July but boy is it a relief to get the part that I can control done.

 

That pile of papers in the corner (covering the return address to maintain some privacy) are my copies of the documents.


Now we wait - and gear up for all the fun of the next two weeks.  A well known fact about me (and my kids and extended family) is that we are fair rats.  Absolutely love hanging out at the fair, watching the shows, and catching up with friends.  This year is Michael's first year of "real" 4-H and so we have spent this week finishing up books and projects between morning and afternoon trips to the barn.  (And of course getting physicals and fingerprints for my  homestudy - did I mention I got that done?!)  Our dining room is 4-H central right now - which is fairly inconvenient since it is stinking hot out there and it would be kind of nice to eat inside. 


We have poster board and pictures for photography, an electric circuit board, and 5 4-H manuals in here, a bird feeder and model for Joseph's mini 4-H, a pillow and friendship bracelet making stuff for Charity's mini 4-H plus in the lower right hand corner is all my adoption paperwork - but that pile is greatly diminished now that I mailed off the homestudy paperwork - not sure I have told you all that interesting bit of news yet.


Our goal is to get his photography project done tomorrow and then we will be done until Saturday.  He will mix up his cookie dough and stick it in the freezer so that he can slice and bake them when he gets back from camp - the day before the fair starts.  That's right ladies and gentlemen - my kids go to camp the week before the fair.  Now for those of you who have never done 4-H this might not sound like that big of deal - and really it doesn't have to be.  However, I am a procrastinator and it took a good deal of work and discipline on my part to pull off getting projects done a week early instead of an hour early.  


So the three older kids leave for camp on Sunday afternoon and I leave for a hiking trip (just me and 4 friends - HOW MUCH FUN IS THAT?!)  to Colorado on Sunday evening.  After this week I think I'll need it.  But, at least I got my homestudy mailed off....

2 comments:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Whats the process like for your new country? When do you expect to travel? Do you know the kiddos before you do?

Me said...

Paradise - This is a Hague adoption so the process is very structured. A lot of the same type of paperwork that we had for Ukraine so far. Our first adoption was CRAZY fast and so we expect this one to take quite a bit longer - which is okay, we knew that going in but hopefully will travel in a year or so. A lot of that depends on the age of children we are looking at. We will get a referral and make a decision and then have to travel twice for about a week each time. It's definitely different from Ukraine, but it's going to be a great adventure!